The internet is the end-all of information nowadays and even our kids spend more time on the net playing online games than in the park or with friends. Additional learning, Math drills and practice has now been entrusted to the net and the proliferation of free online Math games for kids is the obvious proof of the importance of the internet in these times. Most of us parents are almost always busy with our work and raising our kids that letting them play online to keep them occupied and quiet has been a convenience. Yet, we still have to find out if these online math games are or will be beneficial to our kids’ learning.
Online Math games for kids have the following features:
- Variety in theme, design and concepts. This variety makes teaching and learning Math online fun and exciting because of the diverse choices available. Kids also enjoy learning online because they can choose from the themes and designs as well as get to understand the concepts because of the way they are illustrated.
- Variety in Math programs and levels. Both parents and kids can choose which program to learn and use. You can even review on previous concepts before moving on to the new concepts for a specific level or different levels. Programs such as counting, basic algebra, fractions and geometry are available from pre-school to Grade 8 with varying difficulty on the tests or exercises.
- Uses animation. To demonstrate math procedures and to maintain the kids’ interest in the subject animation is used and even the characters used are those kids are familiar with like Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, Dora, Disney Princesses, Bananas-in-Pajamas, Tele Tubbies, etc.
- Variety of activities. Kids can choose from a variety of activities like practice tests, online quizzes, puzzles, riddles, assorted games and online evaluation and final exams.
- Offline assistance. Worksheets which kids can use to practice are available for printing. These worksheets can be randomly generated online for different concepts and then printed for use.
- User-friendly. Online math games are user friendly, instructions are easy for kids to understand and response is immediate.
- Prompt obtainable results. Results of practice tests, evaluations or exams are readily available and explanations, procedure or reasons for the correct answers are sometimes also shown or upon request so that kids will be able to realize where or why they made the mistake if ever.
- Accessibility. Online math games and activities are accessible from any computer anywhere in the world. Kids can do their lessons wherever they are as long as there is an internet connection.
With all these features it is quite obvious that these free online math games for kids are truly beneficial for our kids’ learning. What is important is that we should be able to provide guidance in the lessons and games they are accessing and we should also make sure that there is a variety of methods and approaches so that our kids will not find Math dull and boring.